Homework – Home Learning
Click to download the Milk Parent/Carers – Student Basic guide.
It is school policy to set Homework Learning. All students must record their tasks in their Student Planners. Parents and carers are asked to check and sign the Student Planners on a weekly basis. Home Learning is reviewed at regular intervals throughout the year.
Home Learning is set for a number of reasons:
- It encourages students to work independently and develops the skills of lifelong learning
- It allows for activities which we could not easily cover in school time
- It links school to home life
- It helps to keep parents and carers in touch with school work
- It is essential for older children if they are to cover examination courses
The amount of Home Learning set may vary between subjects and some learners will take longer than others over the same piece of work. Different learners in the same group will also not necessarily be set the same work.
Learners will receive two types of Home Learning. Teacher directed tasks; this is when the teacher formally sets work, with a deadline for completion. Self directed tasks; this will require more independent and self-disciplined work from learners. The teacher may start the work and ask the student to continue the task over an extended period of time. Sometimes a task is given which needs teacher monitoring (e.g. learning words, remembering facts etc) or learners may be asked to read and research an area. Parents and carers are asked to take an active part in encouraging and monitoring independent work at home.